Any student whose fees are paid by another source is considered a third party sponsored student.
Third Party Sponsors will be expected to adhere to University policies with respect to payment deadlines, late payment penalties, installment charges, withdrawals and so forth. Individual listing or group listings of sponsorship should be forwarded to Student Receivables, Financial Services, well in advance of the Registration and Confirmation Deposit deadlines. Students are responsible for advising the third party of any changes to the financial record after the initial billing.
If you are a sponsored student, UofA Financial Services can process tuition and student fee payments directly from your sponsor. It is important that you understand what steps a sponsor must take to ensure your fees are paid on your behalf. It is also important that you are aware of what happens if your sponsor changes or withdraws their support.
It is mandatory for all sponsors to submit a signed “Informed Consent for Disclosure of Personal Information” form in addition to Individual sponsorship letters. Without the sponsorship letter, you will not be considered a sponsored student, and your tuition will not be invoiced to your sponsor.
How it works
- Your sponsor must have you complete the “Informed Consent for Disclosure of Personal Information”. The sponsor must send this form along with an individual sponsorship letter to Financial Services before the confirmation deposit deadline each year (August 15th).
- When Financial Services receives your form, we will update your "Student Account" advising that you are a sponsored student.
- Once your account is updated, Financial Services will defer (i.e., put on hold) the need for you to pay your registration deposit as well as any tuition and student fees that your sponsor has agreed to pay on your behalf.
- If your sponsor is only covering a portion of your tuition and student fees, you are responsible for the remaining balance and must pay it by the tuition fee payment due date.
- Financial Services will send your sponsor an invoice each term. Your sponsor has one month to pay the invoice without penalty.
6. If your sponsor does not pay the invoice by the deadline, or if there is an outstanding balance on the portion for which you are responsible, your student file will be placed on "Financial Hold."