Funding Sources for First Nation, Métis and Inuit Students

First Nation


  • Students should contact to their First Nation or Tribal Council for post secondary funding &/ UCEPP funding.
  • Members of all other out-of-province bands should refer to their respective First Nation Click here

Bill C-31

  • A status Indian affiliated with one of the following Alberta-based First Nations AND not eligible for funding from that First Nation due to having regained status as a result of Bill C-31should apply with Freehorse Family Wellness Society.

Bearspaw Frog Lake Saddle Lake
Beaver Goodfish Lake Sawridge
Beaver Lake Goodstoney (Wesley) Sucker Creek
Blood Tribe Kapowe’ No Swan River
Chiniki Kehewin Tall Cree
Cold Lake Long Lake Tsuu T’ina
Driftpile Peigan  
Freehorse Family Wellness Society (780) 944-0172
Suite 750, 10707 - 100 Avenue 1-800-411-9658
Edmonton, AB T5J 3M1


  • A two-year college program may be funded for occupations designated as high priorities in each region. A maximum of two semesters of the final year of university level education may be funded in career-oriented programs. 
    Métis Training to Employment – Rupertsland Institute  
    3rd Floor, 12308 – 111 Ave (780) 423-2237
    Edmonton, AB T5M 2N4 1-888-48-METIS
  • Some Métis Settlements offer programs similar to band funding programs for their Settlement members. Members should contact their Settlement Council.
    ***Note: Alberta is the only province with Métis Settlements, which are
    Buffalo Lake 780.689.2170
    East Prairie 780.523.2594
    Elizabeth 780.594.5026
    Fishing Lake 780.943.2202
    Gift Lake 780.767.3794
    Kikino 780.623.3366
    Paddle Prairie 780.981.2227
    Peavine 780.523.2557
  • Belcourt Brosseau Métis Awards –
    Edmonton Community Foundation
    9910 – 103 Street NW (780) 426-0015
    Edmonton, AB T5K 2V7 1-866-626-0015

Inuit & Northern Students

  • Eligible Inuit students seeking more information on how to apply for available funding for post-secondary education should contact the following designated organizations or regional Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC) offices in the province where they have resided for 12 consecutive months.
  • The Department of Education, Culture and Employment (ECE) offers full-time and part-time assistance to Northwest Territories’ (NWT) residents attending accredited, postsecondary institutions and programs through the Northwest Territories Student Financial Assistance (SFA).
    Northwest Territories Student Financial Assistance Program
    Department of Education, Culture and Employment
    Government of the Northwest Territories
    P.O. Box 1320 1-867-873-7190
    Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9 1-800-661-0793

    Freehorse Family Wellness Society Post Secondary Funding Program.
  • Northwest Territories
    P.O. Box 1500
    Yellowknife, N.W.T.
    X1A 2R3
    Phone: (867) 669-2500
    Fax: (867) 669-2709
    P.O. Box 2200
    Iqaluit, Nunavut
    X0A 0H0
    Phone: (867) 975-4500
    Fax: (867) 975-4560
    415C-300 Main Street
    Whitehorse, Yukon
    Y1A 2B5
    Phone: (867) 667-3888
    Fax: (867) 66703801

Other funding sources

3rd Party Sponsor Steps

  • Send sponsorship letter to:
    Student Receivables, Financial Services
    3rd Floor Administration Building
    University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2M7
  • Sponsorship letter should include: Student’s ID number, First & Last name, the session or term, the amount of the sponsorship, any items that the sponsoring organization does not want to pay for (i.e. Health and Dental Insurance) *A sponsorship letter is required at the beginning of each and every academic year **Be aware of the payment deadlines, as there are penalties for late payments
  • The student is to fill out a FOIPP form, which authorizes the U of A to release financial and registration information to the sponsoring agent/organization
  • A sponsorship letter also must be sent to the U of A’s Bookstore, with the appropriate form to create an account with them
  • Contact Financial Services at (780) 492-3000 or the Aboriginal Student Service Centre at (780) 492-1674 for assistance if you have any questions throughout this process